Monday, February 20, 2012

Seed Starting Setup

This is my new seed starting setup, the frame is built from inexpensive 2x2 wood furring with metal corner reinforcements.  It is 5 feet long to accommodate the 48 inch shop lights I had laying about in the garage.  I used a 40 watt cool white and a 40 watt natural white tube in each fixture.  It is 24 inches tall and 27 inches wide, and the lights adjust for height using chains looped over screws.  If I had to buy the light fixtures my total cost would only have been about $60, a bargain compared to commercial versions of this type setup.
I should be able to put 5 flats under it--right now I have a flat of red onion seedlings under the front light that I hope to transplant in mid March.  I also bought a Hydrofarm 17 watt heating mat which is the right side of the frame.  The flat under the rear light has Yukina savoy (Chinese cabbage), Kailaan (Chinese Broccoli), beets, and Swiss chard and all but the chard germinated in only 4 days on the heating mat.  I'm very impressed with the little heating mat, as all of my seeds have germinated in a week or less--including 10 year old daisy's for my wife's class.  After the seed germinate, they should be taken off of the mat, uncovered and placed under the lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment